Senior engineers are often sought after by many businesses. Therefore, it’s relatively hard to attract and recruit excellent engineers. According to Navigos Search, to attract talents, recruiters must have distinctive recruitment tactics as below to make candidates realize the advantages of working at your company and dedicate themselves to their work.
1. What is a senior engineer?
A senior engineer is a person with high technical expertise, responsible for implementing or directing the implementation of highly complex issues such as economics, general engineering, and more.
A senior engineer is a person with high technical expertise
2. Duties of a senior engineer
Depending on the area of each business, leaders hire senior engineers to perform different jobs. However, in general, senior managers must perform the following duties:
- Participate in or personally direct the construction, propose solutions to implement the strategy, research applications, and develop the technology.
- Approve technological, economic, and technical plans for specialized technical works.
- Appraise initiatives and results of research and technology development projects, and apply scientific and technological advances to production.
- Implement major technology research and development projects.
- Exploit, select and apply advanced technology imported from abroad to create a leap in technology for the company. Cooperate with domestic and international partners to implement major projects and national ones.
- Develop objectives and content of training and retraining plans to raise the level of the workforce in science and technology.
- Compile and edit documents and textbooks for training and fostering the workforce.
- Participate in teaching and training to improve professional qualifications.
- Detect, adjust and suspend technical activities if there are any mistakes.
- Take responsibility for your decisions.
- Report work to the senior manager.
Senior engineers undertake many critical duties
3. The necessary skills set of a senior engineer
Technical skills are abilities to use specialized knowledge, techniques, and resources to perform a duty. Technical skills are considered the professional qualifications of senior engineers and their ability to perform a particular task. Top engineers acquire these skills through long-term study and practice.
Knowledge of computer models
Computer modeling is the creation and use of computer models to run complex systems. Although this type of model is not unique in the engineering industry, it has become an indispensable element.
Computer models are designed to operate like real-life systems. A computer model is used to test any system. Thus, it will help businesses save the cost of building a prototype system in real life. They also make predictions about the development of that system.
Therefore, understanding computer models will help engineers know what type of problems are happening to the project and come up with the most effective strategies.
Creative thinking is the ability to create something new. It can be a concept, solution, method, or device. The creative thinking of top engineers is the ability to see everything from a new perspective. To practice this skill, you can refer to some of the following suggestions:
- Analysis: Before creating something new, you must first understand it. This requires the ability to examine things carefully to know what they mean. Whether you are reading a document or a plan, you must first have the ability to analyze.
- Open-mindedness: Creativity involves thinking about things from a fresh perspective within the context in question. You must let go of all prejudices and see things from a new perspective. By approaching problems with an open mind, you are allowing yourself the opportunity to think creatively.
- Problem-solving: Recruiters always want to choose creative candidates because they can solve work-related problems effectively. Thus, when applying for a job, prove to your recruiter that you not only have creative thinking but also know how to use that creativity well to solve crucial problems.
- Good organizational skills: Organization is also a vital part of creative thinking. You must organize all your ideas well for others to understand and follow. Thereby, the leader will also appreciate your creativity.
Creative thinking is a must
Attention to detail
Leading engineers always have to handle complex problems and projects that involve tens or hundreds of people. A small mistake at any time in the planning, development, or construction process can lead to failure. A failed project not only drains your budget but also affects your workforce and credibility.
Therefore, attention to detail is strikingly critical for senior engineers. When implementing a strategy or project, you should consider all the relevant factors (even the smallest ones), always keep the work in mind and ensure the process goes smoothly.
Mathematical and scientific skills
Computers can only follow instructions, so engineers must first figure out how to solve numerical problems before telling the computer what to do.
You don't have to be a mathematical and scientific expert. You only need to grasp the mathematical and scientific concepts needed in your field of work.
Engineers must deal with images and numbers at work every day. That's why schools nowadays put so much emphasis on subjects like algebra, geometry, calculus, etc. Science will help engineers solve problems by examining and using the scientific method. Therefore, having mathematical competence is essential.
Engineers are often known for their technical abilities. However, leadership skills are equally important. During project management, you need to learn how to delegate tasks, organize groups of people, and coordinate complex processes.
To improve these skills, you must focus on your main job and grasp new knowledge. The more you do, the more you learn. By taking on many positions, you can become an excellent leader.
Great leaders can always anticipate potential threats before they occur, thereby preventing them timely and seizing the opportunity to benefit businesses and employees.
To lead well, engineers must also know how to listen. To listen effectively, you must maintain eye contact and avoid distractions. With excellent listening skills, you will get contributions and opinions that can support your work to change in the most positive direction.
Senior positions require good leadership skills
Engineers will communicate with colleagues internally and externally, including clients, the public, and people without a technical background. Importantly, you must have the ability to communicate and translate your specialized knowledge into terms they can understand.
4. Tips for recruit talents
Pay attention to the working environment
The first secret to hiring senior engineers is to turn the work environment into a comfortable place only behind their home. The working environment is the leading factor in attracting talent. Even if the remuneration is not as good as in other places, an ideal working environment will still be a factor in helping managers successfully recruit potential candidates.
No employee wants to work in an uncomfortable environment. Therefore, your company must create a comfortable working environment for employees to be freely creative at work. When candidates come to your business, show them what great benefits the working environment will bring to their career development.
Don’t take the qualifications too seriously
Many recruiters pay the most attention to the candidate's qualifications. But reality has proven that not everyone with a good degree can work well. If you ask candidates about the degree when the interview just begins, they will not want to have a long attachment with your business(even if they're talented ones).
Instead of talking about qualifications, ask about problems that candidates have experienced and the experience and skills they have accumulated. Or recruiters can also raise an issue, then ask candidates to give their thoughts and ways to solve it. These will be much more practical and useful.
Take action quickly
If the senior engineer recruiter has found a potential candidate that fits all the requirements, do not hesitate to contact that candidate immediately. Some businesses have the recruitment process including 4-5 steps before the final interview round. This is the reason why recruiters lose good candidates for the position they are looking for.
If candidates have the ability, they will never sit still and wait for a call from you. If you don't contact them, they will find another recruiter. In addition, the delay in recruiting also makes the candidate think you do not believe in their ability to work. And when you contact them, they have gotten a job in another company.
Don't hesitate to contact good candidates
Give attention to candidates with high passion and enthusiasm
Potential candidates are always the first choice for recruiters. However, recruiters should also consider carefully whether that potential candidate has a genuine passion and enthusiasm for the job.
Many candidates know their strengths well, so they do not have the will to advance and orient themselves at work. With their talent, they solve their problems without caring about the opinions of others. Individual actions in a group will not be accepted and followed by the leader.
Get information on candidates
Many recruiters often do not pay attention to the candidate's CV and only read it when meeting the candidate. This makes candidates feel disrespected and unworthy of the job they are applying for.
Finding out the candidate information in advance will help the recruiter understand the candidate's qualifications, skills, and experience. From there, the conversation during the interview is also more comfortable and recruiters will know how to ask the right questions to know more about the candidate. This is one of the best tips for recruiting good engineer candidates.
Recruit senior engineers at Navigos Search
Recruiting senior engineers has always been a dilemma for leaders. Not every company or business is lucky enough to recruit excellent candidates for the position they need. With the need to recruit high-level positions, most businesses and corporations use recruitment services through a reputable headhunter company.
Professional team of consultants at Navigos Search
Established in 2002, Navigos Search is currently Vietnam's leading talent hunting company. We are proud to support and accompany hundreds of thousands of businesses across Vietnam in getting the best quality personnel with many outstanding advantages:
- Navigos Search is one of three subsidiaries (Navigos Search, VietnamWorks, and Primus) of Navigos Group. With a massive data volume of 375,000+ high-level candidates from VietnamWorks data source, our headhunter team has supported candidates in finding jobs in all fields.
- Our team of consultants are very experienced (all of whom have at least 3 years of experience in recruitment). All our consultants graduate from university or higher and are well-trained through courses on specialized skills with an understanding of the labor market and industrial economics.
- The working process is very strict, ensuring to bring the best candidates for your business:
- Search client needs
- Obtain information on service usage
- Send candidate profiles to clients
- Support clients during the interview process
- Close job vacancies
- Continue to accompany and support clients
View our working process in detail here
- The most advanced recruitment solutions nowadays are Contingent Search, Retained Search, Recruitment process outsourcing(RPO) services, and Japan Desks. View our recruitment solutions in detail here.
To aim for sustainable development for Vietnam, Navigos Search is currently focusing on the long-term vision of "Towards success after joining". We not only pay attention to the current success but also the sustainable success of the company in the future.
During 20 years of operation in the Vietnamese market, the most valuable asset that Navigos Group and Navigos Search has is the largest and most comprehensive candidate database.
Navigos Search recruits the best talent for the position of senior engineer
Thanks to our top-notch quality, people-centered orientation, and the constant efforts of the leaders and all employees, we have maintained our position as the leading recruitment service provider in Vietnam since our establishment.
Contact our headhunter team in the North here.
Contact our headhunter team in the South here.
Navigos Search - Vietnam's leading
middle and high-level talent hunting company